Champion Township was originally part of the Connecticut Western Reserve, then was purchased by the Connecticut Land Company. The land that became the township was divided among nine or ten shareholders, one of whom was General Henry Champion who originally owned much of the property and had acquired all of the township land by December 1798. Henry Champion sold a few of the parcels of the land that he owned, but was hoping to wait for the price to rise from $2.50 an acre to $10.00 an acre.
The first permanent settler was William Rutan, who arrived from Pennsylvania in 1806 and built the first frame house in the township. Over the next two decades, only six more families moved to the township.
Henry Champion died in 1825, with the western half of the township going to his son, Aristarchus Champion and the eastern half to his son-in-law, Henry C. Trumbull. In 1826 both hired a surveyor to sell the land at market price. Trumbull County was established in 1800 and Champion Township, named for the man who owned it orginally, was organized in December 1831. The first road built in Champion was Old State Road and was used as a military road in the war of 1812.
Today, Champion is one of twenty-four townships in Trumbull County and has a population of 9,762. It is the only Champion Township statewide.